Hyndland Local History
Hyndland School
Guided Tour Previous or Next, or go to Index

Hamilton Crescent School, Partick
Hamilton Crescent School, Partick, dating from 1886

Partick Academy originated as a private school in Church Street, Partick, in 1850. In 1878 it moved to Peel Street. By 1887, Partick Academy numbers were dropping and the highly active Govan Parish School Board took over. The remaining pupils from the Academy were moved to join the pupils of Hamilton Crescent School. This building faces west across the cricket pitch and is still used as a primary school.


Airlie Street Building
Airlie Street Building, dating from 1910

In 1912, the new and well-equipped Airlie Street Building in Hyndland, under the name 'Hyndland High School', became the new home for the pupils of Hamilton Crescent School. 300 infants and 1100 older scholars attended this school, which was run by Goven Parish School Board. The Lauderdale Gardens building was added in 1930.



Aerial View of School
Aerial View of Hyndland Secondary School, 1996
reproduced by permission of Hyndland Secondary School



Please email comments to annlaird@hyndl.demon.co.uk
Guided Tour Previous or Next, or go to Index